Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Distracted

Distracted by the things around us we are! Not to sound like "Yoda" but it's so true. In what age or what generation have men been more distracted? It is amazing to me how many things there are that keep distracting me from my mission in life. I'm not going to make a list of everything because you know what I'm talking about. I want to show you some quotes from an "eyes on the prize" sort of Christian lady. Listen to the focus and feel the mission Fanny Crosby was on. Her eyes were literally on Christ.

"It seemed intended by the blessed providence of God that I should be blind all my life, and I thank him for the dispensation. If perfect earthly sight were offered me tomorrow I would not accept it. I might not have sung hymns to the praise of God if I had been distracted by the beautiful and interesting things about me."

"If I had a choice, I would still choose to remain blind...for when I die, the first face I will ever see will be the face of my blessed Saviour."

I am so blind at times that I get distracted even by the things that God is trying to use to get me focussed! I find that the most happy, joyous, fulfilled times in my life are when I am totally focussed on the mission that God has for me. When I get distracted my whole life seems out of whack. Listen to what she wrote when she was only 8 years old.

Oh, what a happy child I am,
although I cannot see!
I am resolved that in this
world contented I will be!
How many blessings I enjoy
that other people don't!
So weep or sigh because
I'm blind, I cannot - nor I won't
Its incredible how one that was so blind was so focussed. I want to stay focussed, I don't want to be distracted. I want to teach my kids to think like this amazing woman. God help me not to be distracted, not to turn to the left or to the right........ Help me stay on mission!

3 comments:

Sheff said...

"Distracted by the things around us we are!" Amen...and....Amen! It's easy to get distracted. I think this is one of Satan's goals!

Distract the people of God. If he can distract us, then, we take our eyes (spiritual and physical) off of the mission!

We must keep our eyes on Jesus and one another so that we can finish strong! God bless my friend!

David P Smith said...

So many of us are distracted that it would probably be difficult to determine who is focused anymore! Not being distracted is almost like being singleminded or one-track minded. This is easy for us to do when we are fixated on something we are consumed with. The key is to become fixated and consumed with one amazing person... Christ!
David

Nathan Rogers said...

Such a great post Jon...Ooh and I love the new pic at the top!